a thought on a wednesday

posted on: September 4, 2013

To be honest with you, I haven't imagined being a mother very many times. Oh sure, I've thought it and assumed it--of course, of course, I will be a mother one day--but I haven't made it real in my mind so much. Maybe just twice. Or maybe three times (thrice?) that I can remember.

But when I have, I cannot see my child or children. I do not smell their sweet breath or feel that plushy, smooth skin. Rather, I hear them. I hear the the sound. It's a soft, full, sleepy call. Not very much unlike how and what Michael Darling slurs as he's drifting off in Disney's Peter Pan. A request. A praise. A prayer.

"Muuuther."

And this is not to say anything of visions or premonitions. It may say something of hopes and dreams, though. Of things that populate a 24-year-old girl's mind.




(And if you've never wanted to be a mother, or have a little boy all your own,
 or live in the city of your dreams--well, this, THIS, will cure you.)

4 thought{s}:

  1. Oh, how I love this. (You could guess, right?) It makes my heart flutter. Sometimes being a mother seems far away for me too, but I've thought so (so, so) often of that sleepy sound or rustle and walking into a room to pick my baby up out of his crib.

    Come see me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. At 27, I feel like I should think of motherhood more often than I do. When I do think of my children, though, I think of them as you do -- romantically, softly. Not specifically, or practically. That's too scary, too much for me, I think. But tucking in and soft sleeping and story times? Those are dreams I can get behind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this so much. As an almost-20-year-old, I rarely think of motherhood. However, there are moments when I catch myself wondering. It's usually when I've spent an afternoon with my best friend and her little girl, or when a baby smiles at while I'm out. I don't imagine what my children look like or even what they sound like. It's always one specific day-dream (moment?) - I picture Christmas. The lights, the smells, the pile of presents and two mini-person sized lumps under the covers next to me, tired out from their early morning excitement. I still don't know if I want children or not but that little bit of a Christmas day-dream makes me think that they're in my future somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a sweet thought. I think about motherhood a lot. You'll be a great one.

    ReplyDelete

She's a piratey soul, full a' vinegar and glitter.

THE LIFE OF B All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger