girls i know

posted on: April 11, 2013

A year or so ago, I opened a Word doc and typed a brief heading: "Women I Admire"
And every so often when I think of it, I type down names and attributes that belong to those names: Smart, confident, homey, soft. Chatty, easy. Goodness, assuredness. Healthful, graceful, bookish, loud. Sharp. Strong. 

Good hair.

The list is mostly made up of women I know, both young and seasoned. But a few author/artist/celebrity types have snuck their way in. More fictional characters than I care to admit. And recently, some men too. (Because even though I'll be a woman someday, men are good heroes too.) I guess it's my way of saying, "this is what I'd like to be when I grow up" and also, "I'm so thankful for the clearers-of-the-way." I don't know what I'll do with any of it, but it's a safe place for me, a place of solitary solidarity.

And so recently, when I stumbled upon Girls I Know, it felt so familiar. I took a minute to read some of the profiles, and I was so inspired by girls I have never met. By their talents and their humanness. 



There are just so many good people, in our worlds and all over the world, you know? 


3 thought{s}:

  1. I love this. I keep a mental list like that, but I need to write it down! And that painting is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should do this. Loved this post. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete

She's a piratey soul, full a' vinegar and glitter.

THE LIFE OF B All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger