a neighbor

posted on: September 14, 2012


My parents have a stone fruit neighbor. His name is Roger, his hair is white, and he owns orchards and orchards and gardens and gardens and farms.

You should know my dad is the bishop of our ward, which really means that he is a kind of father to the people who live in a little segment of our mountain suburb. It really means that he's gone a lot while he's taking care of people, that my mom is alone at nights sometimes, that the phone rings mainly for him, that he worries for the people who are wondering about God. He worries for the people who are wondering about their wives and husbands, who are wondering about money for heat this winter, who are wondering about the business of commandments. He's been worrying and praying about these people for a couple of years, and he's very much in the middle of it all.

When my dad was asked to serve the neighborhood like this, we knew it might be hard, but we didn't know about Roger.

Each Sunday, after a long day of faith and meetings and service, Roger brings a cardboard box to our door. As the sun sets on our holy day, the doorbell will ring and we know that it's Roger with his box. In the fall he brings us crispy golden apples--while I was in college I'd visit home on Sunday nights for dinner, and I'd always leave with a bag of Roger's apples. In the winter he brings us fresh eggs and homemade caramels and nougat. During the summer, he's brought us plums, pears, melons, and peaches. The peaches are always engorged and full and perfectly ripe. They are the juiciest, and we've taken to slicing them and eating them out of little glass bowls because of the sticky neck situation they create when impatiently bitten into.

Each of those nights after the door is closed and the cardboard box is brought into the kitchen, we gather around it and admire the jeweled fruit. We pick through our spoils. We talk about Roger, about how he's just a saint. He's a neighbor--so near to us.

We wish for hearts like the one Roger has--engorged, full, and perfectly ripe.

We wish for more hearts like that.



6 thought{s}:

  1. I always forget your dad is the bishop.
    I love your love for peaches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always get excited when I see you've written something new. I love this so, so much. I think there are people like that in all our lives, and by no means is it an accident. This is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is hard for me to be away from my family (I'm in California, and they're in Idaho). But I feel an inexpressible and unique comfort knowing that there are people in my neighborhood who love them and take care of them when I can't be there - and even when I am there. :) I really hope I can be like that for my neighbors too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW: I've been reading your blog for a few months...I have no idea how I came across it, but it might have been on the "explore" option in google reader.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sweet. My dad has been a bishop before and I understand all of this. They do a lot more good than we think - just recently my dad was called by a former ward member. He named his son Madson after my dad. I think it's the kind of service we don't always notice because we're so used to it. This was really sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this glimpse into your life.

    I wanna write like you when I grow up.

    ReplyDelete

She's a piratey soul, full a' vinegar and glitter.

THE LIFE OF B All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger