Nora

posted on: June 27, 2012


"Above all, be the heroine of your life, not the victim." -Nora Ephron

As I'm growing up, it's interesting and surprising at times to realize where influence and inspiration have come from. I could write pages about the women and men who have taught me and encouraged me and shown me how to live right--I owe so much to these people. They've made me, really.

I knew I liked Nora Ephron. I liked her movies--if one could have kindred films, hers were mine. I liked her words, her essays--I laughed aloud, which I don't often do while reading. I liked her, just her. I've listened to her speak in director's commentaries and I've watched short interviews on YouTube--I thought she was honest, fine, and funny. I wanted to be just like that.

I knew I liked that Nora Ephron--but I just didn't know that she meant all that much. Nora passed away last night, and I stumbled upon the news via Twitter. I read the eulogy in the New York Times

I just want to say that I feel really sad that Nora Ephron is not on this earth anymore. I do, I feel really sad about it. I didn't even know it until last night, but she's one of the people I would write pages about. 

I would write things about bookshops, reading, cooking, eating, hilarity, brevity, bravery, writing, twirling, hairspray, wrinkles, flowers, growth, twinkle lights, and cities. I'd write about friendship, partnership, femininity, loneliness, and forgetfulness. 

I'd write things about bouquets of sharpened pencils, to be sure.





(The internet is full of little Nora tributes today--I especially love what Annie and Natalie and Tom Hanks have said.)

2 thought{s}:

  1. My heart is aching over her.

    Beautiful words, B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this, Brittany. That eulogy in the New York Times was perfection... it told her story in detail, filled us in on her career and the mark she made on the movie and book businesses, but it also really just told us what a fine person she was, what a good friend. I have a feeling she had a little of all her characters written inside of her, and that's what makes her feel so especially close today.

    ReplyDelete

She's a piratey soul, full a' vinegar and glitter.

THE LIFE OF B All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger