a thankful thought

posted on: November 10, 2011


It's not all that hard to feel grateful when you live in London, and when you eat fig gelato under the Eiffel Tower on Bastille Day. And it doesn't feel very hard when your wallet turns up in the lost and found at Target. And when you unwrap just what you want on Christmas morning.

But I've been thinking about thanksgiving and about gratefulness--it's what November does to all of us I expect. You know, it shouldn't be harder to feel grateful when you don't have long-term plans, or even short-term plans--when your pay checks really aren't monumental and you live in the basement of your parent's home. It should be just the same. Different of course, but the same.

Different because I've never commuted with my dad every day before. And for four years, I didn't get to eat dinner with my mom each night or see my siblings on Halloween. Different because I have some time to think. And the same because, well, all of it is just as good as the other stuff--that fig gelato stuff.

I'm so thankful for the lives I've lived, but more importantly I'm trying to be thankful for the life I have now.  

"Gratitude expressed to our Heavenly Father in prayer for what we have brings a calming peace--a peace which allows us to not canker our souls for what we don't have. Gratitude brings us a peace that helps us over come the pain of adversity and failure. Gratitude on a daily basis means we express appreciation for what we have now without qualification for what we had in the past or desire in the future. . . .We express thankfulness for what happens, not only for the good things in life but also for the opposition and challenges of life that add to our experience and faith. We put our lives in His hands, realizing that all that transpires will be for our experience."
Elder Robert D. Hales






image via

6 thought{s}:

  1. I read this and immediately went to write it down. Such a beautiful thought - and an absolutely perfect way of saying it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. being thankful has changed my LIFE. i've recently read the book One Thousand Gifts {by Ann Voskamp} and it changed me. even my family has noticed a difference. she talks alot about thankfulness for the daily little things and also grace. she is a beautiful writer. whenever i see a thankful post, i am drawn to it. just like yours:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for posting your thoughts and this quote from elder hales. it's totally something i needed to be reminded of. ps, your new blog changes are very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have been thinking about this exact same thing. and can i just say how much i adore you? and your amazingly kind words you write on my blog? you always make my day, and your blog inspires and uplifts me everytime. gosh, i just love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean. There have been years of my life when I've felt more grateful than others - but gratitude cannot be circumstantial. It has to be an attitude, a part of your daily worship. I heard a thought once - What if you woke up today with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

    Thanks for your gratitude reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the post :))

    new follower!

    www.aroundlucia.com
    www.aroundlucia.com

    ReplyDelete

She's a piratey soul, full a' vinegar and glitter.

THE LIFE OF B All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger