bookmarc

posted on: December 6, 2010


In September, Marc Jacobs and Robert Duffy opened a bookstore in New York City's West Village.  While his looming neighborhood presence and irreverent parodies of classic titles have ruffled some feathers, I think his move from cloth to paper is intriguing.  The bookstore is set up like a boutique--no alphabetized authors to be found.  Shoppers are forced to browse and to find new favorites.  Poppy biographies, oversized art books, timeless novels, and Marc's own line of stationary-esque items are sold side-by-side on worn, wooden shelves.

Marc's new shop is pretty indicative of a movement that I find so interesting: books are fashionable.  When did words and pretty bindings become hip?  Whatever the reason, I kind of love this unique approach to book shopping.  Because book buying, touching, reading, and loving is such an experience.  The books I choose and how I choose them have really become a part of me--I guess just like the clothes I choose are a reflection of my aesthetic and what makes me feel good.

Regardless of trend or Marc Jacobs, words will always be stylish I think.  The simplicity and complexity of literature is truly classic and emotive, like only the best pieces of clothing.

That said, is there a book that you would wear?  Do the words or images express some part of youself?  What does your favorite literature say about you?  Do tell.

7 thought{s}:

  1. What a charming little spot!! And that car is so cute :)
    hope your having an awesome week!
    xoxo
    Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my i LOVE this! i want to travel to nyc now just to visit! and i love collecting pretty old books. when i studies in spain for a summer one of the "must buys" was an vintage spanish book. and i ended up buying 2!

    love the blog!
    meredith
    meredithlockhart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that

    And literature says a lot about who I am. What are some of your favorite books? I actually would love to know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. K girlfriend this is wonderful. I think the way you compared literature to fashion is sooo true.

    If I could wear a book, I'd first probably answer A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, but that's only because it's my favorite. I'll have to think about that one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Marc Jacobs! I didn't know that a store was opened, thats cool

    ReplyDelete
  6. i collect old books with awesome covers. i had no idea about this, but I LOVE IT. i want to visit there right now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found your blog and started reading through it, got to this post and I hear my husband chime in "that is a sweet corvette. Did they write about it?" Hahah : )

    I loved hearing about this book store, you described your thoughts perfectly and so honestly! Its true, books have somehow made their way into the fashion world, and its really interesting.

    Love your blog! Can't wait to see more! : )

    ReplyDelete

She's a piratey soul, full a' vinegar and glitter.

THE LIFE OF B All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger