mid-morning snack

posted on: October 4, 2010

It’s ELLE’s 25th birthday, and to celebrate they asked their favorite up-and-comers to talk about being mid-twenty-somethings.  ELLE asked them about where they thought they’d be and about the things they wanted for themselves:

I’m twenty-one, and I’m not where I thought I’d be.  I’m noshing on an everything bagel that I evidently did not talk myself out of eating, reading a magazine that I have no intention of purchasing.  I didn't wash my hair today.  I wore this shirt last night--horizontal stripes, no less.  I don’t say what I mean and my eyes water entirely too much (mostly with happy tears).  You know, I’m not really sure where I saw myself at twenty-one; I think I saw a strong woman though, but I may have seen her in high heels and red nail-polish, cradling a magnificent handbag in the crook of her arm.  She may have been firmly opinionated and was most assuredly (not too) crazy in love with her accountant prince.

I do paint my nails red.

But I wear flats most days.  I mascara my tired eyes each morning and laugh loudly when I feel like it.  I bring flowers to sad friends.  My backpack can be my boyfriend.  And I pick myself up off of the floor when I need to.

The ELLE ladies are certainly beautiful and successful.  Their racing careers and big plans are neat. I look down at my plan-changing, sesame-seed covered self and the only thing I can think of wanting today is a chilly rain.  But if ELLE really knew me, they’d put me in their pages, maybe edging out Lauren Conrad or Bar Refaeli. 

I'm marvelous. So marvelous.

10 thought{s}:

  1. I read this three times. Greatness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, you really are.

    I just told a guy friend from h.s who will go unnamed that if I were a guy I would look pretty seriously at dating Brittany Austin, and then marrying her because she'd make one hell of a wife.

    Sorry for the cuss word, but that's actually what I said. Because that's how great I think you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. um yes i love love love this! and you....you, me, bod and cupcakes soon...please?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are strong and amazing and this post is OOZING WITH INSPIRATION!

    I love it! I might now not be where I had wanted to be at 23 but I know it's a good place still.

    I can breathe with ease and comfort. I am glad you feel the same. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YEAH!
    I really like you for this.
    It's funny but like Julie said- with greatness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad that I found your blog again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loveeeeeee this! and also, that picture is really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alright you are my idol. This post was so inspiring (and so relatable) I had to read it three times. In fact have I told you that all my friends read (and love) your blog and yes, they quote you in their life books too. You're that amazing. And marvelous. So, so marvelous.

    PS. I can't wait for lunch! What an awful time for me to get sick, but next week I will be better! (and if I'm not I'm giving up on life, so lunch may never happen...haha) but it's about time we finally become "real life"/blogging/twinner friends!

    ReplyDelete
  10. this was really perfect and pretty.

    everything bagels are the best. i definitely saw myself in a very different place at 21 as well. and i generally feel a sense of guilt about not washing my hair every day.

    loving your blog and your writing. i will be hanging around to read more.

    dailyeday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

She's a piratey soul, full a' vinegar and glitter.

THE LIFE OF B All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger