mantra take two

posted on: October 1, 2010


You all know this image well. It is everywhere, in in almost every color. I never really liked it though, to be honest. But then I went to England and it followed me. And I learned that it was an unreleased WWII piece, intended to raise British morale and strengthen courage should the Nazis ever have taken England.

I listened to some who huddled through Blitzkrieg.
I walked in the tube stations where thousands of Londoners slept.
I imagined parts of St. Paul's, crumbled.
Keep calm and carry on.
It was meant to inspire in 1939.
But I needed badly in 2010.

I keep coming back to it.
And I read it over and over.


Do you have a mantra that's keeping you sane?
I'd love to hear.

9 thought{s}:

  1. whoa that's awesome, i had no idea that's where it came from.
    love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the same as you... and always wondered why there was a crown. Now I like it so much more!

    My grandma was a kid in England during that time, and her younger brothers and sisters got evacuated into the country like in The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this! Don't really have "mantra" per se, but this one may become mine now that I know it's background!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just recently learned about that immage, too. I was curious where it came from and googled it.

    My mantra is:
    Never give up the dreams you have
    never stop living for yourself
    always believe in what you are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well this is shocking. I guess I'll have to like it now.

    Oh hey, keep calm and carry on, k?

    Oh hey, keep calm and call me all the time, k?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such an eloquent post. I don't know if I have a mantra, so much as a belief - everything happens for a reason. In my personal experience, there is almost nothing truer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i never knew the story behind this! thank you so much, i have so much more respect for this ubiquitous image now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love that story.
    i have your postcard hanging on our fridge. it is awesome

    ReplyDelete
  9. So true...this one is always good to repeat out loud. Lately though, I've been liking the "Keep Calm and Fake a British Accent" ;-)

    ReplyDelete

She's a piratey soul, full a' vinegar and glitter.

THE LIFE OF B All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger