and just in time

posted on: April 1, 2010


I struck the board and cried, "No more,
I will abroad!
What? Shall I ever sigh and pine?
My lines and life are free, free as the road,
Loose as the wind, as large as store.
Shall I be still in suit?
Have I no harvest but a thorn
To let me blood, and not restore
What I have lost with cordial fruit?
Sure there was wine
Before my sighs did drie it: there was corn
Before my tears did drown it.
Is the year only lost to me?
Have I no bays to crown it,
No flowers, no garlands gay? All blasted?
All wasted?"
. . . . .


But as I raved and grew more fierce and wild
At every word,
Methoughts I heard one calling Child!
And I replied, My Lord.

from George Herbert's The Collar
photo via

5 thought{s}:

  1. That's beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh - this brought me to tears.
    Honestly.

    Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love this poem. thank you for springing it on me in the midst of a busy day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i. love. george. herbert.

    and you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so beautuful.
    and i love that photo,
    thanks for having such wonderful poems!

    ReplyDelete

She's a piratey soul, full a' vinegar and glitter.

THE LIFE OF B All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger