Creation

posted on: October 12, 2009

After art history, I usually saunter around the the Museum of Art for exactly 13 minutes, because it closes at six p.m. I'm starting to love art as much as words. Just so you know. But then last Thursday I walked right out the MOA's south doors and through the HFAC's north doors. HFAC--the Harris Fine Arts Center.
A center for the arts. A place for fine artists. I mainly chose this route through campus because it was a tad chillier than I anticipated and I did not bring an appropriate jacket. So while I enjoyed HFAC's heat, I looked around, briefly.
And then I sat down, perched myself on the zig-zag glass staircase, not briefly.

I saw a boy with a fluffy hair running lines with a red-lipstick girl; they were loud and their voices echoed. I didn't listen very well but when the lines were over and they both dropped their tattered scripts to their thighs, I saw red-lipstick girl and fluffy hair boy look at each other like they had just found a starfish together, and all of the legs were intact. But they threw it back into the water, of course. She muttered something and he found a pen to jot some notes. And they began again.

Then, I noticed 3 girls and 2 boys sitting just below me, on the ground, with the biggest drawing books I've ever seen. I saw a quiet girl using her ruler, making lines that were parallel and perpendicular and diagonal, but all straight. She used her eraser a lot too. She worked slowly and quickly at the same time, glancing up frequently to watch her subject. I saw her push her metal ruler aside and heard it crash on the tile floor. She made short, soft strokes against those lines. Brush. Brush. Brush.

I watched these beautiful people being human, you know?
It is wonderful to be a girl, but I'm so glad I'm a human.

{The Art of Painting, Jan Vermeer, 1666}

6 thought{s}:

  1. i love watching people be human.
    it's one of my favorite things to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the HFAC too. And the MOA. My favorite is the picture of Christ as a child looking at a pile of wood... Look for it for me, will you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay. You are lovely. You just made the idea of staying a second longer after class to sit in an ordinary building on campus magical. Really. I get to excited when I see you've posted something!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, very nice post. I just bumped into your blog... Very very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a beautiful story! I love the way you write.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a nice post. I absolutely love Vermeer, that painting is incredible. And literature, cardigan weather, avocados with salt, and airports pretty much sums up everything I love too! I think we would get along.

    ReplyDelete

She's a piratey soul, full a' vinegar and glitter.

THE LIFE OF B All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger